Summary: UNDERSTANDING HUMAN COMMUNICATION IS UNDERSTANDINGCHANGE.
For over three decades, this has been the best-selling text for the introduction to human communication course.Understanding Human Communicationis written with one goal in mind: to provide students with the insights and skills to succeed in our changing world. Ronald B. Adler, George Rodman, and new author Carrie Cropley Hutchinson place communication theory within the context of everyday skills and draw from the ...show morelatest media, culture, and scholarship, creating a distinctive pedagogy that gives students the tools they need to master--and enjoy--this intriguing and relevant subject.
NEW TO THE ELEVENTH EDITION
* New part-opening ''Case Studies''present real-life communication challenges on the job, in school, and in personal relationships.
* A brand-new chapter, ''The Changing World of Communication,''considers demographic and cultural influences and the ways in which technologies have created both new opportunities and challenges in our modern world.
* This edition presents current research on many new topicsincluding how we perceive strangers differently in mediated and face-to-face communication, how linguistic labels reflect cultural identity, the differences between conflicts online and in person, and the ways in which gender influences styles of conflict.
* New ''@ Work'' boxesdemonstrate how key concepts presented in the book can be applied in the workplace.
* Part V: Public Communicationhas been streamlined and reorganized to give students a more efficient introduction to public speaking. Synthesizing material from previous editions, the new Chapter 11, ''Preliminary Considerations,'' discusses choosing and developing a topic as well as managing communication apprehension.
* A new Appendix, ''Communicating for Career Success,''provides students with practical information on interviewing and networking.
*Understa ...show less
49 more offers below.