This edition has also been released as:
Summary: This best-selling introductory nutrition text in colleges and universities has been used by more than one million students! UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION provides accurate, reliable information through its clear writing, dynamic visuals, and integrated study aids, all of which engage and teach students the basic concepts and applications of nutrition. This comprehensive text includes up-to-date coverage of the newest research and emerging issues in nutrition. The pedagogic ...show moreal features of the text, as well as the authors' approachable style, help to make complex topics easily understandable for students. From its stunningly restyled and refined art program to the market-leading resources that accompany this text, UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION connects with its readers and continues to set the standards for texts used in the course.Edition/Copyright: 10TH 05
- "Nutrition Calculations" (previously "Making It Click") include additional practice in important nutrition quantitative problems.
- NEW! New! "Nutrition in Your Life" chapter openers introduce the chapter material, and then are revisited at the end of the chapter with several self-assessment questions. Each opening scenario focuses students on what they are going to learn. Closing questions then allow students to assess their knowledge and consider whether their personal choices are meeting the dietary goals introduced in the chapter.
- NEW! "Highlights" at the end of each chapter address new research, ongoing research, and controversial issues related to the chapter material. New "Highlights" include "A World Tour of Pyramids, Pagodas, and Plates" (Ch. 2); "High-Fat Foods: Friend or Foe?" (Ch. 5); and "Phytochemicals and Functional Foods" (Ch. 13).
- NEW! NEW! Includes current DRIs (including new energy calculations and recommendations for carbohydrates, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids), as well as thorough coverage of the 2004 release of the DRIs for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride and Sulfate
- NEW! Updated coverage includes inter-relationships among genes, foods, and health; labeling regulations for trans fats and new health claims; alternative food pyramids; and obesity coverage. For a listing of chapter-by-chapter changes, visit the visual preface found in the instructor's edition of this text.
- NEW! Chapter 7, "Metabolism: Transformations and Interactions," has been reviewed, revised, and re-energized. Details were added to enhance understanding, but care was taken to maintain the same chemistry-friendly approach, using a combination of familiar phrases and attractive art.
- NEW! Diet Analysis Plus, available Online or on a Windows CD-ROM, can be packaged with this text for a substantial discount. Included are updates of the latest DRI information, such as new energy calculations and Vitamin A and E values, as well as an increased number of foods, and much more. For additional information, visit http://nutrition.wadsworth.com.
- NEW! A new text-specific Web site now includes classroom activities, such as thinking games (i.e. "Jeopardy"- style quizzing), instructor downloads, student quizzing, flashcards, etc.
- "How To" boxes within each chapter provide examples of calculations and skills used in real world situations.
- "Nutrition on the Net" sections, found at the end of each chapter, list current Web addresses that guide students to Web sites for additional information, future study resources, Internet activities, and selected resources available through "InfoTrac College Edition" (packaged with each new copy of the text).
- "In Summary" paragraphs are found at the end of major sections within each chapter and synthesize key concepts presented in the text.
- "Multiple Choice and Study Questions" at the end of each chapter aid students in reviewing key chapter material.
- The Dallas TeleLearning "Nutrition Pathways Telecourse Guide" can be sold separately or packaged with the text for an added discount. For more information about the course and available resources, visit http://telelearning.dcccd.com.
- NEW! Packaged free with every new copy of the text, the "Nutrition Explorer" CD-ROM includes nutrition animations (23 total), case studies, student practice tests, glossary terms, and "Nutrition on the Net" annotated Web links, all correlated to every chapter of the text.
- NEW! A new "Media Menu" is included at the beginning of every chapter and is designed to help better connect the available media resources with the text.
- NEW! All new art! The art program has been thoroughly restyled with new figures and photos in every chapter to better clarify complex topics and reinforce concepts, providing another level of narration through a visual program designed to capture students' attention.
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2005
Other Editions of Understanding Nutrition - With CD: