This edition has also been released as:
Summary: The ninth edition of this classic text has been entrusted into the capable hands of a dynamic new author team. Eric Widmaier, Hershel Raff, and Kevin Strang have taken on the challenge of maintaining the strengths and reputation that have long been the hallmark of Human Physiology: The Mechanisms of Body Function. The fundamental purpose of this textbook has remained undeniably the same: to present the principles and facts of human physiology in a format that is suit ...show moreable for undergraduates regardless of academic background or field of study. Human Physiology, ninth edition, carries on the tradition of clarity and accuracy, while refining and updating the content to meet the needs of today's instructors and students. The ninth edition features a streamlined, clinically oriented focus to the study of human body systems. Edition/Copyright: 9TH 04
New to This Edition
- New author team! While the Vander team will still serve as consultants on the text, we are thrilled to introduce our fantastic new author team:
- Eric Widmaier, PhD: Currently teaching at Boston University, Professor of Biology, PhD- Endocrinology, University of California--San Francisco, Thirteen years of teaching at the University level.
- Hershel Raff, PhD: Currently teaching at Medical College of Wisconsin, Professor of Medicine, PhD- Johns Hopkins University, Fourteen years of medical school and undergraduate teaching.
- Kevin Strang, PhD: Currently teaching at University of Wisconsin--Madison, Lecturer/Associate Researcher in Physiology, PhD- University of Wisconsin--Madison, Seven years of teaching experience at the University of Wisconsin--Madison.
- Reorganization and streamlining of the first seven chapters. In focus groups and reviews, many instructors indicated that they did not cover the first five to seven chapters of the textbook- that students were expected to know that content before entering into the course. Much of the material formerly found in Chapters 3-5, such as the genetics of the cell cycle and replication, has consolidated into a single chapter (Ch. 3 Cell Structure and Protein Function). This change reflects the content currently being taught in undergraduate physiology courses and allows the authors to expand topics within the systems chapters without lengthening of the book.
- Increased Emphasis on Clinical Aspects. In response to reviewers' requests the authors have added new clinically related content in nearly every chapter. Many chapter sections now conclude with a new element entitled ?Additional Clinical Examples? that highlight diseases and conditions relevant to concepts discussed. Students from a wide array of health-related fields will find this material interesting and relevant to their course of study. Based on his medical experience at Medical College of Wisconsin, co-author Hershel Raff has extensively reviewed, edited and added to the clinical applications of the textbook.
- Thorough Updating. The new author team has carefully updated the science in this text line by line to ensure that students are presented with the latest research. For example, the chapters on the nervous system, most notably, have been updated to include new information on neurotransmitter actions, learning and memory, and sensory transduction, to name a few. See the Preface for a list of examples in each chapter.
- Dynamic New Line Art and Photos. Building on the dynamic art program of the eighth edition, the authors have revised and added many new illustrations and photographs (about 100), many of which illustrate diseases or clinical treatments.
- Extensive revision of explanation of resting and action potentials. This is traditionally a difficult topic for novice readers. The new chapter has been re-written to emphasize the importance and use of the Nernst equation (formerly included as an appendix) in understanding how ions move across membranes.
- New Instructor Resources. Instructors will appreciate the new Digital Content Manager CD-ROM that contains electronic versions of the text illustrations, photographs, and tables, suitable for PowerPoint or other uses. A complete PowerPoint Lecture Outline detailing each chapter of Human Physiology, 9e is also available to make lecture preparation simpler, faster, and more engaging.
- Consolidation of Homeostasis. Previously split between Chapter 1 and Chapter 7, the text now opens with an expanded discussion of homeostasis and feedback. This adjustment allows students to begin their study of physiology within the framework of physiology's unifying principle. New coverage includes variability and time-averaged means, quantification of physiological variables to assess homeostasis, and an expanded section on feedback at the cellular level.
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company
Other Editions of Vander, Sherman, Luciano's Human Physiology : The Mechanisms Of Body Function: