Summary: Voyages Through the Universe Second Edition provides students and professors with the best of both worlds. It is written by two distinguished research scientists (Morrison and Wolff) and an award-winning astronomy educator (Fraknoi). This author team combines the latest science with classroom-tested teaching strategies. Voyages Through the Universe is adopted at a wide range of schools: elite private four-year universities, state schools of all levels, and a v ...show moreariety of two-year schools. It is extremely authoritative and up-to-date as well as approachable and accessible to all students. Besides the full text, volume one (Voyages to the Planets) and volume two (Voyages to the Stars and Galaxies) are now stand-alone, complete texts. This enables instructors to choose the book that best fits their needs for any length course on either or both subjects.Edition/Copyright: 2ND 00
- Approachable, humorous writing style encourages students to pursue astronomical topics within the text and beyond.
- Captivating illustrations illuminate classroom discussions, and detailed captions help students understand what the image is really about.
- Astronomy Basics explains fundamental scientific ideas and processes of astronomy.
- Seeing for Yourself boxes provide observing exercises requiring little or no equipment.
- Making Connections boxes connect the enterprise of astronomy to other disciplines.
- Three separate texts are offered to better suit individual instructors' needs.
- Surfing the Web offers annotated guidance to the best astronomy on the web.
- Inter-activity consists of cooperative group activities for lecture or discussion.
- The latest images from the Hubble Space Telescope, Galileo, the Mars Pathfinder, Global Surveyor missions, and others, as well as the latest astronomical discoveries, are integrated and fully explained.
- Redshift College Edition, an enhanced version of RedShift 3, the popular planetarium software, contains superior graphics, enhanced explanations, and student guidance. It truly puts the universe at your fingertips.
- More "down-to-earth" examples and analogies are used to help students relate astronomical concepts to things that happen in their everyday lives.
- A pre-developed WebCT curriculum that instructors can use "as is" or customize for specific classroom needs is available with the text. WebCT provides free tools that facilitate posting of course content, administration of quizzes and tests, class gradebook management, and Internet communication such as e-mail, threaded discussions and chat.
Publisher: Saunders College Division
Other Editions of Voyages Through Universe : Complete / With Two CDs: