This edition has also been released as:
ISBN13: 978-0534409067, 978-0534409166
ISBN10: 0534409067, 0534409164
Summary: VOYAGES THROUGH THE UNIVERSE provides students and professors with the ideal combination of authors and experience. It is written by an award-winning astronomy educator (Fraknoi) and two distinguished research scientists (Morrison at NASA and Wolff at NOAO). This author team combines the latest science with classroom-tested teaching strategies and a student-friendly approach. Through unique group activities and a focus on astronomy as a human endeavor, the authors en ...show moregage and involve students, helping them both understand and enjoy astronomy. The market-leading technology package includes access to InfoTrac® College Edition (free!) and TheSky Student Edition CD-ROM (free!), as well as an optional package with the RedShift College Edition CD-ROM (including animations) along with an accompanying workbook.Edition/Copyright: 3RD 04
- NEW! New Virtual Astronomy Laboratories give astronomy students an exciting, interactive way to learn. Focusing on twenty of the most important concepts in astronomy, the labs offer students hands-on exercises that complement the topics in the text. Cues in the book direct students to the lab assignments, which students can complete and print or send to the instructor by e-mail.
- Unique analogies present astronomy in the context of student's lives and experiences comparing, for example, energy levels in the atom to rental units in a luxury apartment tower or electron degeneracy to traffic jams after a big game.
- This text is designed to be modular, so it can be used effectively in any order, with easy-to-use references to the background material.
- Inter-Activity exercises consists of cooperative group activities for a change of pace in lecture, student discussion sections, or homework assignments. Educational research has shown that students learn best when engaged as active participants rather than passive listeners; these exercises provide an easy, fun, and educational way to do adjust that.
- Making Connections boxes show how astronomy relates to students' experiences with other field of human endeavor and thought, from poetry to engineering, from popular culture to natural disasters.
- Seeing For Yourself boxes familiarize students with the sky and everyday astronomical phenomena through observations using requiring little or no equipment.
- Voyagers In Astronomy--these profiles of noted astronomers focus not only on their work, but on their lives and times.
- Surfing the Web offers annotated guidance to the best astronomy on the web.
- Astronomy Basics explains fundamental scientific ideas, processes of astronomy, and astronomical terms.
- NEW! A significantly expanded series of worked out mathematical examples and numerical problems is now featured in each chapter (in a new section called Figuring for Yourself.)
- NEW! New step-by-step worked out examples guide students toward mastery of the end-of-chapter quantitative problems.
- NEW! Fraknoi/Morrison/Wolff's renowned sense of humor, designed to put non-science students at ease, is now taken to a new level of sophistication. This continues to be a book that students all around the country turn to with pleasure.
- NEW! This new edition includes the latest information and images from our instruments on Earth and in space, completely integrated into the text. (Such recent results as the NEAR flyby of Eros, the quantum leap in identifying L and T dwarfs, brown dwarfs, and planets, the dawning of the age of precision cosmology, and the latest evidence about black holes of many sizes are all carefully explained.)
- NEW! The 3rd edition contains a new chapter, "Life in the Universe," dealing with a popular and ever-changing topic, astrobiology and the search for life elsewhere.
- NEW! Re-organized and numbered subheadings make finding what you need even easier!
- VOYAGES THROUGH THE UNIVERSE is also available in two splits--VOYAGES TO THE PLANETS and VOYAGES TO THE STARS AND GALAXIES.
- The author team combines expertise in teaching and with expertise in research--one is an award-winning astronomy educator and two are distinguished research scientists.
Publisher: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co.