This edition has also been released as:
Summary: WHEN WORDS COLLIDE is the most versatile grammar and usage handbook for beginning and continuing media writers. As a main text, the book is praised by students and professors for its straightforward, clear treatment of grammar, offered in a lighthearted, almost conversational tone. As a handbook, the text serves as a reference tool for students throughout their writing careers. It provides concise and clear explanations and examples, or a quick and accurate answer to ...show more a grammar or usage question. The unique 'from writer to writer' perspective engages students and guides them firsthand through the writing process. Edition/Copyright: 6TH 04
New to the Edition:
- New "Quickstart" chapter "The 10 Secrets to Good Writing" gets students engaged with the writing process right from the beginning and provides great tips and tactics for successful writing.
- Former chapter 1, new chapter 2 will provides a strong focus on connecting clear writing to good grammar.
- New, separate chapter on the verb and appropriate uses give this important subject matter ample coverage.
- Website with exercises and activities take the text and exercises workbook to a new level by providing numerous tutorial opportunities. The website offers additional exercises that students can complete, print out, and/or e-mail to their professor.
- Spelling chapter refocused on language and literacy, seeing vs. hearing and the dangers of software spellchecks to better inform the learning writer.
- New coverage on ethnic stereotyping in Chapter 12 (formerly chapter 11) Sense and Sensitivity.
- Numerous new examples keep the text current and engaging.
- Expanded coverage throughout on online writing (problems and successes).
- Versatile as both an easy-to-use reference handbook and a grammar/usage textbook.
- Clear, concise explanations of all important grammar issues.
- Timeless and appropriate examples compare correct with incorrect uses.
- Chapter 11, Sense and Sensitivity, covers the "-isms" in writing: sexism, racism, ageism, etc. and encourages the student to be aware and sensitive to race, class and gender issues in media writing.
- Clear, Concise explanation of all-important grammar issues in a lighthearted, conversational tone.
- Fresh examples from a variety of media in every chapter that help the student quickly apply grammar and style rules to their own writing.
- A complete "Topical Guide to Grammar and Word Use."
Cover: Other Format
Publisher: Wadsworth, Inc
Year Published: 2004
Other Editions of When Words Collide : A Media Writer's Guide to Grammar and Style: