Summary: This text combines an up-to-date, balanced, and integrated approach to writing instruction, focusing on both composition theory and practice. Edition/Copyright: 03
Within and Beyond the Writing Process in the Secondary English Classroom is a comprehensive text that covers teaching methods for all aspects of writing: personal writing, journal writing, responses to literature, essays, research papers, and writing to learn. The text combines the pedagogies of three instructional a ...show morepproaches to composition: an emphasis on the personal connections of writing, a focus on the importance of structure and audience, and the call to use writing for social action.
This text fills the void regarding research and theory on grammar, correctness, and language variation, and lists the standards developed by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education and National Council of Teachers of English.
- Theory and practice in the fields of linguistics, composition theory, and pedagogy are integrated throughout the chapters.
- Up-to-date examination of theory and practice in assessment includes classroom, state, and national evaluation.
- The history of writing instruction covers three approaches to instruction--rhetoric, expressive writing, and writing for social change--as well as the development of the writing process.
- Strategies for teaching writing through the use of the writing process include invention, drafting, revising, and editing.
- Examples from current practicing teachers are included throughout the text and in an appendix.
- The role of technology in the writing classroom is addressed.
- "Think/Writes" in-chapter exercises offer suggestions for engaging readers by encouraging them to write in response to the material.
- Write-to-learn theories and strategies foster critical thinking through writing.
- Methodologies connect reading and writing in the literature classroom.
- In-depth suggestions are provided for handling mechanical and grammatical correctness and dialect variation.
- Connections between language, reading, and writing are incorporated throughout.
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.