Summary: This thematic reader was developed to meet the specific needs of mid-level writers, and focuses on the variety of influences that shape our lives--including people, events, cultures, media, work, and technology. All of the readings are short, accessible, engaging, and are culled from a wide range of sources.Edition/Copyright: 4TH 06
Each reading is accompanied by strong pedagogy including pre-reading activities, post-reading activities, and paragraph and essay writing assignments. ...show moreOver 40 percent of the readings in the Fourth Edition have been updated to make the text more appealing to today's students, and include selections by both well-know professional writers and students.
- Headnotes provide a brief introduction to each selection, identifying the source and establishing a context for consideration.
- Journal Writing assignments encourage students to explore their ideas about featured topics before reading.
- Practical advice on how to approach each essay, such as a particular reading or review technique that will improve the students' comprehension and recall of each essay, is offered prior to reading--as is a preview of potentially troublesome vocabulary.
- Finding Meaning questions help student's assess their comprehension of a reading's literal content.
- Understanding Technique sections guide students in analyzing the writer's methodology. For example, students may be asked to evaluate a writer's thesis statement; assess the effectiveness of a title, introduction, or conclusion; or study how the writer uses topic sentences or transitional words and phrases.
- Paragraph-length assignments offer writers the opportunity to explore a focused topic; essay-length assignments give students experience in narrowing a topic and developing a short essay. Assignments often provide prompts that offer advice on how to approach the assignment or what to include.
- Additional exercises stimulate interest and creativity by offering light, spontaneous writing assignments that, alternately, may be used as collaborative learning activities.
- The Internet Connections sections have been revised with new activities and the corresponding Web sites have been updated.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Writer's Selections: