Front-End Web Developer
Role: Front-End Web Developer
Location: Boston, MA
Job Type: Full Time Employee
Relevant Work Experience: 2-5 Years
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Reporting to: Front-End Manager
We're on the lookout for smart, energetic, self-starters to fill key positions in our growing office. An entrepreneurial spirit, love of learning, and appreciation (if not mastery) of dry wit will be a stellar addition to any great resume.
We are a growing retail company, but there is much more to us than meets the eye. We are lifelong learners, and committed to creating new and simple tools to meet our goals. For the right candidates, there are numerous opportunities to apply what you know, grow along with us, and make an impact.
We look forward to hearing from you.
We are seeking a highly-skilled front-end web developer who is self-motivated and passionate about front-end development to work with a team of top-notch developers, designers, and marketers to build out websites, emails and marketing campaigns for an e-commerce retailer. We are looking for the right developer who has an eye for detail, a high-standard of quality and a deep knowledge of cross-browser implementation and responsive design.
Applicants should have experience building out websites from scratch (no WordPress-only developers). They should also have experience building out dynamic email marketing campaigns and landing pages. This is primarily a production role and not a design position, but working knowledge of Photoshop is required.
- Create usable, functional, responsive websites that are optimized for all major browsers on all major operating systems and devices
- Develop marketing HTML email newsletters and landing pages. Knowledge of Responsys a plus.
- Participation in software development lifecycle working closely with technical, design, and product teams
- Investigate and analyze reported site bugs in a timely manner, and recommend solutions to these problems
- Provide input and assist on efforts to improve the efficiency and quality of the development projects
- Conduct and assist in design and code reviews
- Conduct and assist in unit and integration testing
Skills and experience necessary for this role:
- Minimum 2-5 years of professional experience.
- Excellent HTML5 and CSS3 programming skills
- Coding valid XHTML and CSS mark-up
- Developing cross-browser and cross-platform compatible solutions
- Experience implementing responsive websites
- Understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) best practices
- Experience integrating with server-side code to produce dynamic pages
- Excitement about emerging web technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3
- Good understanding of Web Accessibility
- Knowledge of HTML Email best practice desirable
- BA/BS degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field. A technical degree with a minor/concentration in computer science is also acceptable
- Experience designing and implementing dynamic, personalized, database-driven commercial web sites
- Knowledge of cross-browser, cross-platform implementation solutions
- Understanding of the web application development process, including compilation/building, and coding standards
- Excellent analytical skills, understanding of project life cycles, and ability to act in an entrepreneurial manner to ensure the software delivered matches the business needs
- Experience working with offsite development teams
- Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional team environment
- Ability to design and develop software in a group or independently
- Should be comfortable with direct communication with all levels of technical and business resources
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously
- Experience working with technical, design, and product teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Located in Boston's Leather District, Textbooks.com is the direct-to-consumer division of the industry leader in wholesale textbook distribution. We offer the excitement of an entrepreneurial environment backed by the foundation of a 40-year-old, privately held company. We offer competitive benefits including profit sharing, opportunity for growth and a work environment focused on building a business through talented individuals.
When applying, please include specific examples and salary requirements. Local applicants only. Interested applicants should email TBCareersnull@nulltextbooks.com Subject line: "Front-End Web Developer".