Summary: Paragraphs and Essays with Integrated Readings--the higher level of Lee Brandon's two-level series that also includes Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond--provides extensive writing instruction in a fun, engaging manner. Written in Lee Brandon's unique style and voice, the text incorporates coverage of reading, a three-stage writing process, and in-depth instruction on different essay patterns. The last chapter (Chapter 16) covers research writing; and a Handbook section ...show moreprovides grammar, mechanics, and punctuation review for students to brush up on their skills. New to this edition are 12 full-color photographs that provide writing prompts for student essays, a wide variety of brand-new readings, and new "Mindset" features that emphasize key concepts and point to additional exercises on the accompanying Online Study Center. Also new to this edition is Lee Brandon's co-author, son Kelly Brandon, who also teaches developmental writing. Edition/Copyright: 10TH 08
- Strong emphasis on the writing process covers three separate stages of writing. Three chapters cover the writing process in detail: the exploring, experimenting, and gathering information stage; writing the controlling idea, organizing, and developing support stage; and writing, revising, and editing.
- Engaging writing samples by both professionals and students are integrated throughout the text. This edition incorporates more examples of text-based writing and stresses the importance of locating and qualifying sources, as well as incorporating and documenting sources. Intriguing topics such as cheating on papers, low-wage jobs, flirting, and the dangers of steroids, engage students' interest; paired readings in several chapters encourage critical thinking about the pros and cons of an issue.
- New! Writing across the disciplines and in the workplace is emphasized in every chapter. Every chapter begins with a consideration of how a particular type of writing can be helpful in college courses across the curriculum, as well as in the workplace.
- New! Application exercises are now linked with four-color photographs to provide critical thinking opportunities as well as writing prompts. These Application exercises can be used for individual or group consideration and discussion, or assigned as essay topics.
- The effective pedagogy includes a number of student exercises in every chapter for immediate review of chapter concepts; writing process worksheets to help students develop their essays; many annotated readings; and suggested writing topics. New to this edition are special features that point students to the Online Study Center, which contains self-study quizzes with immediate feedback and rejoinders for every chapter and "Mindset" features that provide additional questions and suggestions before many of the readings.
- A handbook of grammar, mechanics, and punctuation helps students refresh their understanding of parts of speech, sentence structure, and mechanics such as spelling and punctuation. Also included in the handbook is a brief guide for ESL students, with additional information on subjects such as idioms.
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Other Editions of Paragraphs and Essays with Integrated Readings: